The Strangers: Prey at Night ★★★★

about a million times better than the first film, The Strangers: Prey at Night is the rare horror film that somehow manages to be both scary, satisfying, and surprisingly well made. almost a decade after the original film, this one arrives like a bullet; fast, furious, and frantic. making the most out of its three antagonists, Prey at Night sets up an already tightly wound nuclear family and proceeds to goes ballistic, sparing no one and nothing. there’s so much that I love about this film, from the throwbacks to the horror films of the late 70s and 80s, the intense horror sequences between the main characters and the titular villains, and the performances, especially from Bailee Madison, who makes every emotion and trauma her character goes through highly believable. the pool sequence is one of the best constructed and carried out scenes I’ve seen in a horror movie from the past few years, mixing delectable cinematography with a killer choice of music. despite the beginning that is a bit heavy on exposition, I really loved this film, and I honestly hope that this series isn’t buried for another ten years.

josh rosenthal liked these reviews