Aquarius ★★★★★

I'm a pisces.

O dever do cidadão de bem é boicotar Aquarius.

★★★★★★★★★★

The quote above is not from the movie. It's a critic review from brazilian magazine Veja - which is the most popular magazine of the country -, and it says that the duty of the good citizen is to boycott Aquarius.

This is a movie about Clara, an elder lady, played by Sonia Braga in an absolutely mesmerizing performance, who's being tormented by a construction company which wants her to leave her apartment so they can have the whole building, something she refuses to do.

According to one of the most influents pieces of press in Brazil, this film should be boycotted. It is the duty of the good citizen.

This movie is a spit right to the face of the brazilian elite. We won't do their bidding, we won't be fooled.

I grew up around people like those shown in Aquarius. In several moments, Clara's relation to her family reminds me of my own. I think this family accurately represents the essence of a brazilian family. It is deeply nostalgic. And why these people, who didn't do anything to anybody, should be bothered like that? There's a very key piece of dialogue in the film where Clara asks if there are any legal countermeasures she can take to stop this people from pursuing her... And the answer is no, there's not. If you're a good person, living in peace in the building you grew up, a bunch of elitists pricks may come to pick on you, and there's nothing you can do, they can keep doing it forever. It happens all the time. People telling you what to do, how to live your simple life, trying to steer your harmless existence. Quoting another great film that came out this year:

Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say, "No, you move".

I will say this again: according to one of our most influent magazines, this film should be boycotted.

You know what director Kleber Mendonça Filho did about this review?

He used it in the poster.

Gabrielle liked these reviews