A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

One of my all-time favorite movies. It's very special and motivational for me.

I loved the character Alice in number four. Loved her daydream of standing up to her father, and how it's implied that she had to learn about controlling her dreams after suffering from nightmares caused by him. I use to have night terrors when I was a child, and didn't feel safe/at peace, awake or asleep; and, it's truly a terrible feeling - you never really get a break from your suffering. After having enough nightmares and night terrors, I kind of learned to recognize when I was dreaming and I'd close my eyes really hard in my dream and then open them and I'd normally open my eyes in real life - sometimes I'd have to try a couple times. That's one of the reasons this franchise resonated with me so much when I was younger. I was terrified of Freddy in the original because he reminded me of a recurring demon I had in my dreams, I loved three because they learned to fight it, and four because Alice mastered conquering fear. I loved Alice. I also loved Luke Skywalker for some similar reasons. I wanted to learn to master my emotions, and understand the human psyche so well, that another person would never be able to hurt me. I wanted to understand the human experience, and how darkness consumes people, so that I could empathize with them, and they'd never be able to emotionally affect me; because I'd understand their actions, even if I didn't agree with them. I wanted to become so present, self-aware, and full of love that no external stimulus could ever provoke negative feelings, like fear or anger. I wanted to be like a Jedi and a Dream Master. I wanted to be able to face reality and my dreams without being afraid.

Strong opening dream sequence and reuniting of Ken Sagoes and Rodney Eastman; I'm bummed Patrica Arquuette didn't come back though.

Loved the usage of "Anything, Anything" by Dramarama a couple times. And enjoyed a lot of the score too. Hard not to watch this movie and just jump up and dance and sing, "ILL GIVE YOU ANYTHING, ANYTHING, ANYTHING!!!" because the nostalgia trigger catalyzes immense joy, and memories of watching this over and over in my youth.

Love the red and green lighting used in several scenes. I liked a lot of the different settings. Old fashioned diner settings get immediate brownie points with me. The movie theater setting. The funhouse horizontal revolving cylinder. The beach setting and shark Freddy. The spa setting and invisible kung-fu Freddy.

Speaking of different variations of Freddy... nurse Freddy... naughty teacher Freddy... Kinky.

The bench-press-bug-transformation and bug trap kill is definitely my favorite of the franchise, and maybe one of my favorite movie kills of all-time. You know you're in good hands when you see the name Screaming Mad George in the opening title sequence.

Freddy becoming more comedic and doing stuff like eating souls in the form of human meatball heads - or "soul food" - is fine by me. I honestly love this movie.

Alice with her late-'80s, punk, and kung-fu vibes near the ending.... "Fucking a"

Loved the battle between Alice and Freddy in the abandoned Gothic cathedral, and the "evil will see itself, and it will die" and it's meaning. If psychopaths like Krueger had the capacity to feel emotions like the rest of us, the pain and guilt of what they've done would kill them inside.

Also loved the wishing fountain ending, and it's implied meaning of overcoming trauma and/or living in fear. The original had a good ending as well, with Freddy disappearing after Nancy turns her back on him; but then the Freddy-car and doll-mom being pulled through the window kind of ruined (for me) what I considered a perfect ending - so I kind of prefer the ending here.

"Welcome to Wonderland, Alice."

The_Shape_ liked these reviews