Gorgeous ★★

Every story needs an antagonistic force: that's storytelling 101. I think the screenwriters who wrote Gorgeous may have skipped that class, because as far as I can tell, the characters that inhabit Gorgeous are all perfectly happy with only good things coming their way. At first, we're supposed to feel sorry for Bu, whose only possible romantic interest is a village idiot of sorts. She meets Chan, a financial...trash...investor...smart guy-man? Not sure exactly what his job was, but he's a world-class fighter (obviously) who has a rival that's out to destroy him financially and spiritually (don't worry though, that rival is also his best friend, so no stakes there). Bu meets Chan and they fall in love. But Bu learns he's a womanizer so she pretends to be the girlfriend of a famous gangster - her reasoning for doing so is so preposterously out there that not only does it reinforce her as crazy, but it also just kind of made me wonder why she was going through all the trouble in the first place.

But wait. Bu...boy, Bu sure is NUTS. She's supposed to be the quirky hometown girl, but she comes across as a bipolar obsessive lunatic. Towards the climax of the movie, Chan eventually discovers she isn't who she says she is, which worries Bu, but Chan just smiles and reveals that he's always known that and still likes her anyways; what a guy! Bu seems relieved, and asks if he's not angry at her because he's in love, to which he responds 'well, we have a lot of fun together'. Bu starts bawling and accuses him of ruining the fairy tale, without even explaining what that means before storming off in a fit of manic sadness. Chan's just kinda like...'wait, what? I've known you for like 4 days?' He flies all the way to her place with gifts so he can apologize, but he's confronted by her father, who proceeds to beat the crap out of him because he depressed Bu. He yells, "What did you do to my daughter to make her so depressed?", to which Chan ever-so-saliently replies, "I didn't do anything!" The thing is, he didn't. Bu's just like...out of her mind. She makes a character like Amelie look like a down-to-earth realist.

But anyways, back to my initial point. There's a worry that the village idiot, still obsessed with Bu and now following her through town, might ruin everything (by ruin everything I mean spoil the surprise that she's not really the gangster's girlfriend, which, as I said, was a pointless ruse anyways). But, he doesn't. He's in almost exactly three scenes, only one of which seems like it's important, but it doesn't go anywhere; at the end of the movie, when Chan proclaims his love for Bu, it cuts back the the idiot, who simply bows his head and says "I'm okay". The rival defeats Chan at one point, but he feels bad and gives up (he also tries to commit suicide, but the film gives that scene so little time I almost felt a little bad). There IS one awesome martial arts villain, but even during their climactic fight, they're just fighting for the fun of it - I got the sense that they'd become best buds afterwards anyways.

A fight scene on a boat in the beginning of Gorgeous showed some initial promise, but it doesn't really live up to expectations on an action movie level. The final fight scene is great, but it's too little too late. I'd recommend Gorgeous to Chan fans like myself who know what they're getting into, but viewers new to Chan are more likely to be outright confused than entertained. Not his best effort.