Parasite ★★★★½

94/100

Parasite’ is an extremely well made film. There are many reasons for its excellence. Its plot is intricate. Its acting is humanised. Its cinematography is crisp. Yet its greatest success which raises the overall quality of the picture is undoubtedly its subtlety. Bong Joon-ho’s 2019 thriller deals with issues of class divides, greed and material jealously all with a subtle perspective and narrative, never allowing the themes to feel forced but instead cleverly left there for the audience to notice. This more muted style of commentary is always the type that I find works best and this case is no exception. As for the actors, I was particularly impressed with Cho Yeo-jeong’s Yeon-kyo, the wealthy matriarch of the Park family. She managed to convey the middle-class mother, as well as the typical life experience and problems that naturally come with this lifestyle, perfectly. ‘Parasite’ gives great social commentary and even better thrills throughout with it standing as one of the best paced films I have ever had the pleasure of watching. At moments it felt very Tarantino-ish so his influence on Joon-ho can be seen and with him being my favourite director of all time, it’s safe to say I enjoyed this one. The ‘Goodfellas’ visual reference of the slicing of the peach with the razor blade was the icing on the cake. A must watch film that’s deserving of the prestigious Best Picture Oscar, only triumphed by ‘Once Upon a Time in Hollywood’ in my list for 2019.

theburnettshow liked this review