Manchester by the Sea ★★★★½

Kenny does it again! More excellent acting, writing and depressing as hell plots and subplots, full review soon

FULL REVIEW: Whoever said that this was just another “sad white person movie” doesn't deserve the presence of Casey Affleck and Co.“An uncle is forced to take care of his teenage nephew after the boy's father dies.” Kenneth Lonergan's “Manchester by The Sea” is an emotional rollercoaster, to say the least. One second I'm howling with laughter, the next, I'm on the verge of tears. But without a doubt, it's definitely one of the best films so far this year. Lonergan somehow crafts a film that is two hours and fifteen minutes long, strictly dialogue only, without a dull moment, I believe he deserves some credit for that because a very small amount of films nowadays do that, his direction is also quite magnificent, to say the least. Anyone remember Redford from “Moonrise Kingdom?” Well, he's the co-star here and boy has his acting talent not changed a bit, he still steals most of the scenes he is in. Since the last film I saw Casey Affleck in was “I'm Still Here”, I've come to appreciate how much of a range he has in terms of how masterfully he can portray certain characters. If that last sentence wasn't clear enough, Affleck presents a very dramatic performance that is as beautiful as it is heartbreak, and the same can be said for the film's screenplay. It always has a sense of heartbreaking beauty, no matter how serious the tonal issues are. Maybe it's just how fantastic the pacing was but the film (in my opinion) ended way too abruptly, there was still quite a bit of the story left to explore. I put all my faith in Lonergan that he knew what he was doing while writing the script but the ending felt much too soon and should've been just over two hours and thirty minutes like his previous film, “Margaret”. (and Margaret is also a great film, so watch that for now) There's a breaking point to much depressing/upsetting subject matter you can put in a film. For some films, they just throw it in randomly, causing it to look unintentionally hilarious. Or if they are legitimately trying to make you feel for a certain character or characters, there is always a point where it gets a little ridiculous. Manchester by the Sea walks that fine line mainly because Lonergan absolutely knows what he's doing with the material and is not trying to be over dramatic, he keeps it as human and as possible as possible. In the end, Manchester by The Sea is definitely one of the better movies I've seen so far this year. If you hate depressing tales then this is not for you, but if you can handle its subject matter then see it, like oh my god it's fantastic! I'm giving this one a 9/10 (A)

Ben liked these reviews