Rocketman ★★★★

In my early 20s I was very into vinyl. My mother managed an apartment complex and one of her tenants was throwing a ton of old vinyl out which my mother took and ended up giving to me. When I got them I found out it was over 20 different Elton John albums. Needless to say I got familiar with his music.

I was excited to see this and learn more about the legend I’ve listened to my whole life. Teron Edgerton embodies Elton so incredibly well I couldn’t imagine anyone else in the role. Unfortunately the story gets bogged down in between the extravagant musical numbers. It’s a movie musical that feels more fit for the broadway stage, but I suppose it wouldn’t be a movie about Elton John without its proper theatrics. One of the best things I can say about this is that I can already tell I’ll be humming Elton tunes for next few days.

Sidenotes:
- This movie has one of my major pet peeves. It’s when someone walks up to a mic for the first time and you hear that loud pitched feedback as if the mic and speaker can feel their nervousness. That wouldn’t happen. Count how many times it happens in movies you’ll be amazed.

Christopher liked these reviews