The Worst Person in the World

The Worst Person in the World ★★★★

The future is scary.

Coming from a perspective of being a 22 year old male and being in a serious relationship with a woman who is several years older than me, whom also watched this with me and could relate to Julie on a deep, personal level - enjoy every moment in this life that you can.

Growing up under parents who wanted to have everything under control and know what they were doing all the time, it was a hammer coming out of that suburban Midwest part of my upbringing and into a world full of people who didn't know what they were doing or what they wanted, or when they would know what they wanted or how they would get it.
Life is tough.
Shit takes times.
It took me a long time to really understand this, and I still struggle with deep anxiety about my future in spite of knowing this.
That pressure is ingrained and always will be.

Ambition is relentless and 'resistance' is even stronger.
Time does not stop, but we have more of it than those who passed and fell before us, so just live.
Remember to fuckin live.

Knockout film.
Offbeat from Trier's previous work, especially the past two entries in the Oslo Trilogy (but certainly more in tune with Reprise' style and mood), but it carries so much passion and attention and the performances by Renate and Lie really blew me away.
There were scenes that we've seen similar context to in several other movies, but the director's patient and deadening real approach to it painted together with the actors understanding and timing of the emotions was something beautiful to behold that took it several steps above what any conventional filmmaking could do.
Trier's visual style is still hyper-present, despite having a new DP, and I'll definitely be seeing this again in theaters come the next 2 weeks.

The ending is certainly a bit less resounding than I would have liked, but it leaves a lot open and to be desired, and a lot of life yet to happen.

Which to that there is.