Fright Night Part 2

Fright Night Part 2

"Forewarned is forearmed... to the unending task of conquering the forces of evil, wherever they might appear."

It's been a minute since I saw the first 'Fright Night' installment, but being back in this universe was even more fun than I remembered. More than anything this struck me as the unabashed, super entertaining adventure story telling in the Spielberg/Zemeckis horror version of breezy fun in the 'Back to the Future'-vein (time travel excluded, obviously) rivaled only by heavy hitters like 'Ghostbusters,'Gremlins' or 'Lost Boys'. Very easy to watch, and if it hadn't been for some gory effects at the end this would be the perfect introduction for kids graduating from 'The Monster Squad' (another film where Jon Gries plays a werewolf by the way) and 'The Goonies'.

The cinematography is stunning. Mark Irwin looks like he is having a blast here, playing with all kinds of inventive camera movements. That man is responsible for photography on all my favourite Cronenberg films, excellent 'The Blob' remake from 1988, not to mention he did the first 'Scream' for Wes Craven, all this making him a straight up cinema legend in my book, but holy shit, looking at his the work he has done over the last 20 years is almost making my cry. Did he have a stroke, or forced to take jobs only in his own town for personal reasons or something? What a trajectory!

But 'Fright Night Part 2' is a pretty good time, capably made, doing it's thing very well, with great effects and superb photography. Glad I found a reason to watch it. Kudos for including a transgender vampire character (Belle), without making a big deal of it also. And how delightful is that scene where the badguys go bowling?

Fave IMDB trivia:
"Roddy McDowall and director Tommy Lee Wallace had an unpleasant lunch with Live Entertainment chairman Jose Menendez to discuss the film's distribution and marketing, and later the same evening the exec was slaughtered by his sons, Lyle Menendez and Erik Menendez. As news of the murders swirled around Hollywood the next morning, McDowall phoned Wallace and cracked, 'Well, I didn't do it. Did you?' "

#Hooptober.70