The Nice Guys ★★★★★

ATL Inspiration Marathon - Part 45 (FINAL)

Capping things off with the film that started it all, one of the biggest influences on my writing with ATL: Stories from the Retrofuture. A whole lot of the character dynamics, witty banter, red herrings, running gags, and action setpieces were inspired directly by Shane Black's wonderful comedic masterpiece. It may have been a bomb at the box office, but it was anything but a bomb... in my heart. (Also I stole a couple jokes from the movie, please don't tell the comedy police)

However... this particular watch was kind of weird to me. I have the feeling like where I've seen the movie so many times that I'm noticing all the places where there were weird lines that don't connect, edits to cover up deleted dialogue or ADR, bad acting extras, and that kind of stuff that continually takes you out of the film experience. For a while I felt this way about Pacific Rim, back when I watched it like once a week after it came out on blu-ray, but I completely forgot about that feeling until now.

Is this something any movie lover will experience if they watch the same film too many times in a short period? Though I've only ("only") seen the movie four times since 2019 so I'm not sure if it even qualifies...

Thedude3445 liked these reviews