Kung Fu Hustle ★★★★★

I hadn't seen this since it was released a decade ago, but it strikes me that in all that time since Marvel has released like 30 superhero movies and not a one of them is half as entertaining, imaginative and profound as this. And it runs only 99 minutes.

Things I learned on rewatching:

1. Lam Suet! Lam Suet is in this!

2. The landlord and landlady (types in homage to Chor Yuen's The House of 72 Tenants, a non-action movie that was Hong Kong's biggest hit of 1973, topping even the mighty Bruce Lee) are played by Yuen Wah and Yuen Qiu. Yuen Wah, of course, is a longtime stuntman and actor (you can see him as the villain in Eastern Condors, for example) and former member of the Seven Little Fortunes Peking Opera troupe that also featured Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao and Corey Yuen. Yuen Qiu also studied under their same teacher at the China Drama Academy, but she rarely appeared in films (she did some stunt work on a James Bond movie and some random small roles and stunt performing in Hong Kong) and hadn't appeared in a movie at all since 1985. She only agreed to star in this after Stephen Chow begged her for months. And she pretty much steals the movie.

Sean liked these reviews