The Thing ★★★

Scavenger Hunt #40 (8/31)
Task 10: On the afternoon of 10 July 1913, the hottest air temperature on the Earth's surface was recorded at Death Valley - 134 °F (56.7 °C). If you don't think that's scary enough, watch a horror movie set in a snowy backdrop.

I’m not much of a horror fan in general so my opinion probably doesn’t mean much here, but I was really expecting more out of this. For a premise that relies so heavily on tension and suspense, this movie really enjoys breaking it. Like a lot. The deceptive nature of the monster would suggest that more stock would be put into sniffing it out (more stuff like the hot wire scene please), but oftentimes it just seems to show up for convenience sake. Don’t get me wrong, the practical effects are fantastic to look at, but I feel like those cards were played too early and too often to make full use of the claustrophobic “hold your breath” mystery that the film promises. Also: it’s all just rather silly isn’t it? Kurt Russell is absolutely a lot of fun, but the rest of the crew are barely fleshed out, and we never get a sense of who stands beside who, or who is untrustworthy, and why. Most everyone feels like generic ducks doing little else than waiting to be taken out by the Thing. And that computer sequence...c’mon man. Just not my cup of tea.

TheFabs liked these reviews