Marriage Story ★★★★★

I think this is the best movie I’ve ever seen that I never want to watch again. I can’t think of another movie I’ve seen this year where I cared so goddamn much about the characters (except maybe Beale Street). I loved them both and seeing them torn apart in a way where no one was ever going to get what they wanted was just too painful to handle. Adam Driver and Laura Dern absolutely kill it, but Scarlett Johansson is nothing short of a revelation here. It’s easily the best she’s been since Her and if it weren’t for the slew of exceptional performances by women this year, she would be a shoe-in for my favorite performance all year.

The writing is superb; Baumbach is a master of dialogue, and the direction is smart and accurately reflects the intensity of what is said (or even more importantly, unsaid). If I have one teeny tiny nitpick, it’s that there is one crucial scene near the end where I felt the score was actually preventing me from what I should have been feeling. The performances and writing were so pitch perfect that I was annoyed by the fairytale score drowning out what was being said (although the music in the rest of the movie is phenomenal).

Like I said, I don’t think I ever want to watch this again but I absolutely adored it, and it is one of the best films of the year.

Colin liked these reviews