The Devils ★★★★★

Nothing short of slow-burn perfection. A blasphemous Molotov cocktail thrown at Warner Brothers in the dawn of the MPAA. It's a film so electric that its truly chaotic and shocking scenes hold up in the same vein as A Clockwork Orange nearly 50 years later, if not more so. I wouldn't have it any other way. This is pure 1970s heavy metal "Hail Satan" shit.

After seeing Ken Russell's "Tommy" last night without knowing prior that he directed it, I had to seek out this movie that I'd been neglecting for so long. I'd heard of it through the grapevine of cinephiles for years, but never sat down to watch it, even though I had planned to several times before. I can't even begin to tell you how much this film blew my expectations out of the water. I was sucked in as soon as the opening title credit dropped.

I refuse to say much about the actual plot because of how slowly it moves along, but it's a genuinely seducing film that lures you in as it brings itself to a boil in its final act. It feels like every scene is a turn of the screw and by the climax, the tension was so overwhelming that I could hardly take it.

This is a film that had Taylor and I leaning forward at a glacial pace before being shot back in our seats at how far this film really goes, especially as a person who was raised in a very religious family.

This is an honest-to-God timeless classic that deserves its reputation and controversy and it's begging for a proper 4K release on blu-ray. I'm still reeling from this film hours after seeing it and I think that anybody with an interest in 1970s filmmaking history owes it to themselves to see it.

One of my new favorite films. Two in a row in less than 24 hours for Ken Russell. I'm gonna savor these two for a while before going through his other work because I don't want to spoil myself.

Outstanding.