The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★★★

A pleasant surprise though I am usually on board with Verbinski. Few things to get out of the way:

1. Yes, it is too long. Cutting a half hour wouldn't hurt.
2. Anyone who has seen the trailer would know that there are too many explosions and trains going off rails, it goes overboard in that regard.

Didn't really bother me though. I was on board for the ride and enjoyed it immensely. I think the best thing I can say about the movie is that they don't take anything too seriously. Thankfully the film doesn't shy away from the gritty west of olden days but there is always a joke waiting around the corner. Depp is of course good, essentially playing a native american version of Jack Sparrow and Armie Hammer works well in the lead role. The supporting cast is good, with some actors not getting fully fleshed out but it didn't really matter. It's like a parade of cool faces that show up here and there. James Badge Dale is great and I would have liked to see him with more screentime but I still liked where they went with him. The standout is William Fichtner though, as bad guy Butch. Savage and fantastically crazy.

They get western basics such as dirt and scruffy beards right which is more than I can say for a lot of westerns and it looks pretty good overall. Good use of sand and made by obvious lovers of westerns.

Aaron liked these reviews