The Amazing Spider-Man

The Amazing Spider-Man ★★★

After Spider-Man 3, Sony decided to restart the franchise with Andrew Garfield as the titular role and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy. The plot is not that different from the first film: Peter gets bitten, Uncle Ben dies, and then Peter becomes Spider-Man. The differences is that this film adds a new mystery of what happened to Peter’s parents which really isn’t even flushed out until the next film. I liked the casting of Emma Stone as she was much better as Gwen than the previous rendition. I also enjoyed Sally Field and Martin Sheen as Aunt May and Uncle Ben. I do prefer the ones from Raimi but they don’t do bad jobs. Rhys Ifans as Dr. Curtin Conners/The Lizard isn’t terrible but as a villain, he was a tad underwhelming. I was not a fan of the writing of Peter. He seemed too cool to play the part. What made me like Peter as a kid was that he was the nerd that was able to do things even when he was looked down upon because of his intelligence. While Garfield himself acting isn’t bad, it was hard from me to attach myself to a nerd that also skateboarded and broke the school rules. I did like the sarcasm that they added to the character but otherwise I was not a fan. Though I will say the action was decent and the chemistry between Garfield and Stone is good, I was also not a fan of the new CGI looking suit. It wasn’t as bad as Green Lantern but I liked the first rendition better. While not for me, this film does have some good bits that I can see a lot of people liking.