Her ★★★★½

Spike Jonze, you bodacious, beautiful, inventive bastard! You have created a love story that defines this generation.

I may have admired "Her" the most for the brilliant and subtle world building on display. Jonze created a view of the future that feels like a dystopia at times, and even a utopia at other times. Technology has freed people to do so much, but it also has imprisoned them from experiencing each other and the world around them.

Joaquin Pheonix's Theodore is one of the most relatable and sympathetic characters I have ever seen. I share more with him than just a name. None of the flashbacks feel heavy handed or corny. I genuinely felt like I saw the world through his eyes. Johansson was also fantastic as Samantha, the operating system.

It seems as if all of Spike Jonze's films deal with a loner who somehow comes to terms with his own existence. From John Cusack's lonely puppeteer in "Being John Malkovich", to Max in "Where the Wild Things Are", these characters are extremely relatable. Therefore I love the movies even more.

I think "Her" acts as both an endearing tale about love in the technological era as well as a few other things. In some respects it is a metaphor for long distance relationships and the struggles that can come along with them (Jonze may be drawing from his relationship with Sofia Coppola as she may have done in Lost in Translation). I think its also interesting that technology has become more convenient than ever in this world, yet the people in it seem more disconnected than ever. I think Theodore's job shows how technology has made people's lives so easy that they quickly become accustomed to letting technology take care of everything for them, leaving little room for them to build relationships. Its not a movie about technology, for that is only the setting.

No matter how you look at it, "Her" is a fiercely original and innovative look at relationships. It truly is a love story that only Spike Jonze could tell.

TJ liked these reviews