Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

Wow. I didn’t expect to like this nearly as much as I did! As a kid the series never jumped out at me as being amazing (much like ET didn’t) and now that I’m older I have a friend who said it wasn’t that great and that the theme song is overplayed etc. So going into the movie I was in the mindset of “okay, let’s get this over with” but boy was I surprised! I really implore anyone who hasn’t seen this since they were a kid to come back to it now. It’s entertaining from start to finish, there isn’t a moment that it drags, even the parts where no action is happening are still advancing the plot forward.

I appreciated all of the symbolism that’s there if you look at the movie deeper then “blockbuster where things go boom” you can see the symbolism about Nazi like ideals invading the United States, and how the corruption and greed of our own wants and desires can in the end be the end of us and end up doing more harm then good. I also enjoyed the symbolism where Indiana’s Shadow always appears on screen first, signifying that Bellick is usually right on Indiana’s tail.

I only really have one complaint with the movie, and it’s pretty minuscule. And that’s the submarine scene, it’s not shown how Indiana survives going underneath the water, obviously you can make all types of theories up. I think the most obvious one and most plausible is that he manages to get the hatch open and slips in, but still. I figured I should mention I don’t quite think it’s the perfect movie.

I also appreciated the little detail where Indiana is always sweating. It makes sense, he’s always in hot places, but you always see him sweating and you also always see him getting tired after a fight or two. I think it really humanizes the character and takes away from you thinking he’s just on “god mode” all the time. It makes you realize he’s a person not a superhero.

Overall, I was blown away by how good this was coming back for a rewatch all these years later.