Vox Lux ★★★★½

"It's about rebirth"

Watching this was quite the experience! To say Vox Lux is controversial would be underplaying it. Not everyone will love this, in fact I can guarantee that a lot of people will hate this film. What I love about Vox Lux is that it doesn't hold back on anything at all, it grabs your attention right from the start and doesn't let you breathe until the very end. This film is about the the cyclical nature of the world which it does a great job in doing, a lot of interesting and thought-provoking choices were made (the double casting was genius, mixing pop stardom and terrorism). Sure, it's pretentious as hell, but to me that kind of adds to the movie in a way. I somehow love that it takes itself way too seriously. At first I was skeptical of critics saying that this could be Natalie Portman’s best performance, but I can tell you right now that this is definitely one of her best performances! No other actress could have pulled this off in all honesty. Also, I just have to say that the last 20 minutes are pure gold (Natalie Portman performing a full blown pop concert, everything you never knew you needed). Definitely looking forward to watching this again once it releases. Honestly, I fucking loved Vox Lux!

julia liked these reviews