Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse ★★★★★

"I see the spark in you, it’s amazing. Whatever you choose to do with it, you’ll be great."

I have followed Miles Morales journey since the very beginning in the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2011) when *spoilers* Ultimate Peter Parker dies, and Miles Morales gets bit by a new radioactive spider and takes over the mantle to become the first ever black Spider-Man. Miles Morales was one of the first comic book characters that hold a special place in my heart in the year of 2011 as I was first foraying into comics and was OCD and wanted to start with a comic that was issue #1. Then came along Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 2 #1. My heart was sold and I have waited 7 long years for his debut and MY GOD did it deliver.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse swings and hits the beats in every way possible. From the drop dead gorgeous animation blending with colourful comic book-esqe setting; mixing comic book panels with animation. The pitch-perfect voice acting; who knew Jake Johnson aka Nick from New Girl can give a powerful and funny performance as an aged Peter Parker. The terrific story that neither confuses or overwhelms you with the multiple Spider-people introduced and I am just on a rant about how much I loved this animated feature.

I don't know how to properly review something I hold so dear to my heart. I cried three times during the screening and it wasn't sad (well 2 of the 3). I was crying because of happiness that overwhelmed me as I watched one of my favourite heroes I have read since the beginning of his creation to be on screen in a film I immediately knew was so perfect.

Michael Dang liked these reviews