Anand

Anand ★★★½

Despite the clear limitations of the era from a technical standpoint, I came out of this with a great deal of respect for it's charm. Is the sound and editing kinda rough. Yes. Is it a little cliche? Sure. Was it still enjoyable? Absolutely. The movie is heartfelt and reflective all the way until it's devastating final act, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Sometimes the acting can be a little much... It feels more like a product of it's time, rather than something to nitpick, but it should be mentioned. I still thought the performances were mostly well done throughout. Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan have a pretty good chemistry that builds over the course of the films reasonable run time, and the rest of the cast does a decent job in their own rights.

I see why this is considered a Bollywood classic. It is a good film, and while I enjoyed it, there are some obvious problems from an editing and cinematography standpoint. The story can also feel a little cliche by today's standards. However, none of these flaws took away from it's message and poignancy, which is still just as impactful 50 years later. I would watch this one again, and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in classic Indian Cinema.

J. liked this review