Knives Out

Knives Out ★★★★

Good to see Rian back in his wheelhouse, specifically genre de- and reconstruction. This doesn't have the immediacy of Brick or the striking visual sense of Jedi but its still largely a treat, handling the unorthodox structure quite nicely with the great twists and turns one expects out of this genre.

A note regarding the politics: I can't help but feel that most of the complaints people have here are more damning of themselves than the movie. Hearing "SJW" in a movie is jarring, yes, but those are the type of slightly outdated words you often hear from people who are invested in politics without spending ten hours a day online. Complaints that the movie has a "both sides" agenda seem equally misguided: Meg does not betray Marta because of some anti-Marxist streak on Rian's part but rather because she's a rich, self-centered teenager. I can't speak as much to the movie's treatment of Marta (the frequent statements of how good-hearted she is were a bit a much, admittedly) but it's hard to think of another movie that posits that almost no one, not even their supposed allies, truly care about immigrants when they threaten their material interests.

Spencer liked these reviews