Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) ★★★

Very messy and somewhat shallow, but I wasn't...not on board with it?

I don't know. I'm in a good mood so I'll throw it a bone. Not terrible by any means, and certainly a head above a lot of the bigger and grander comic book movies out there. It feels like a weird patchwork quilt of underdeveloped ideas haphazardly stitched together but by the end it all sort of comes together and works, which I guess on some level feels appropriate for the chaotic enthusiasm of someone like Harley Quinn. Speaking of which, she is given all the focus of this movie at the expense of everyone else, which is a damn shame because everyone here is just as cool (if not cooler!) and deserved a little more. The actors make do with what they are given though and are all enjoyable to watch.

Ultimately while the genre has become so stale and boring to me at this point, this was fun enough for what it was and did feel different enough to give it some semblance, however minimal, of originality. I will say the smaller scale comic movies are far more interesting to me now than the mega blockbusters so I definitely found this one more appealing. If only it fit all its pieces together better and committed more to exploring certain ideas/characters then I think it could have been something even more special. I will absolutely take this over SUICIDE SQUAD though.

Biggest problem though? Needed more Huntress! She's criminally underused here. I expect this to have positive word of mouth and make enough money and to greenlight a sequel, so you better not squander Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the future! You hear me Warner Bros.?!

Kyle liked these reviews