Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami

Grace Jones: Bloodlight and Bami ★★★★

A year ago today, I saw Grace Jones in concert for the first time. It was one of those concert experiences that I expect will stay with me for the rest of my life. I felt like the music was flowing through me as the divine Grace held the stage and the audience completely spellbound and in thrall to her performance.

This doco made a couple of years ago gives us some insight into Grace Jones away from the stage - yes there are still concert performances interspersed throughout this but what really engages is the time she spends in Jamaica, reconnecting with family and living a regular life, far removed from expensive hotel rooms with champagne and oysters. It's a stark contrast but it acts to humanise someone who is better known for a commanding but intimidating stage presence. She remains uncompromising and completely in charge but she is still the young girl that can sit in church and be awed by her mother's singing.

Sophie Fiennes does a very good job in capturing the Grace Jones no one but her close family or friends really knows and in doing so, elevates our appreciation of the artist we all love.

Chris liked this review