Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★½

Another Zack Snyder movie in 2021, the opposite of self-care for me. Nonetheless, it's kind of fun. The equivalent of junk cinematic food with some sufficiently nasty kills and some decent action but with a pretty by-the-numbers plot.

Dave Bautista is one of the only actors who actually looks like an operator. Dude is in the Arnold-mold of physical specimens who are just charismatic enough to not drag down a movie. Rest of the cast is fine. Garret Dillahunt is too good of a character actor for this shit, but I enjoyed his character. The editing out of Chris D'Elia for Tig Notaro is pretty bad, but not quite Carrie Fisher in The Rise of Skywalker bad, nonetheless fuck Chris D'Elia.

You can tell Snyder and the cast had fun making this, which scores points with me. Regardless of Snyder's innumerable faults as a filmmaker, the actors he works with seem to genuinely like him.

There is no reason on Earth why this movie should be two and a half hours long, Netflix please clean up your quality control. Imagine how much more money you could print if you provided Zack Snyder with notes or an editor.

Nick liked these reviews