One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★★

This movie is in my top five favorite movies of all time and with good reason, its just that good, easily one of the greatest movies ever made.

For those few out there who don't know One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is about R.P. McMurphy who pretends to be mad to go to a facility for the mentally ill to get out of going to prison. Little does he know he would be better off in prison then where is now.

I think its safe to say that Jack Nicholson is one of the greatest actors of all time. That said I would have to say that in a career full of incredible movie roles it is his role of R.P. McMurphy that is his greatest.

Thing is a hero can only be as good as their villain and Nicholson's McMurphy is up against one of the greatest in movie history in the form of the devious Nurse Ratched played to perfect by Louise Fletcher. Ratched is a cold, dictatorial nurse who controls the psych ward with an iron fist. Nothing happens without her say so from the constant and terrible music that supposedly comforts the patients to not letting anyone watch The World Series.

As if Nicholson and Fletcher weren't good enough in this movie we also get one of the greatest supporting casts ever which stared the likes of Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif who was every bit as good as psychiatric patient Billy Babbit as Nicholson and Fletcher were.

By the end you are rooting for McMurphy and the rest of the crazies to win the day but Ratched is a more then worthy adversary and one that may not be able to be beaten. Indeed the end of this movie gives hope for one character but is very somber for the rest.

As I said One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my top five favorite movies of all time and is a must see and own for any movie collection out there. Not surprisingly I can't recommend this movie enough and give it a easy 10 out of 10.