The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir ★★

A charming film, albeit one that takes very few risks (one exception: when Ben Miller ill-advisedly hijacks the film for a dance number). It’s politics are jumbled - and it manages to use the word ‘lesbian’ as a punchline more than five times - but its heart is in the right place, and it’s encouraging to see a commercial film try and engage with the European refugee crisis.

What I really want to talk about is one of the few reviews of this film (so far) on this site. The Letterboxd community is usually such an accepting bunch, so I was somewhat shocked to see a review describing this as a ‘Horrible propaganda film about how Europe should let in hordes of welfare leeches in to destroy their countries’. (To reiterate: most of the migrants depicted in this film are refugees).

Turns out the Donald Trump of Letterboxd has a lot of other, equally moronic opinions - his favourite part of Love, Simon was ‘when the main dude discovers that he's not the center of the universe just because he's gay, and that his straight friends are humans too’, and he considers Get Out to be ‘almost certainly the most openly racist film in the history of cinema.’

But my frowns turned into full-on laughter when I read his review of a film (to which he has awarded more stars than Seven Samurai, 2001: A Space Odyssey, In the Mood for Love and Moonlight) that he described as having ‘a story that is surprisingly sincere and true to the lives of thousands’. That film? The Room.