Pinocchio ★★★★½

This coming of age story is built with pure magic. Also nightmares.

I haven’t seen this movie since my childhood, and I all I remember was the feeling of fear. So needless to say I was excited to watch this as a full grow man-boy who is full of bravery and has no fears.

I’ll be sleeping with the light on tonight.

Besides this being legitimately horrific, it’s still piled high with pure, endearing, unbridled magic. The scene in the beginning in Gepetto’s workshop is a sequence that I could sit in and drink in all its wonder. The complex detail of the setting mixed with perfectly rambunctious score is something to behold. I could watch that again and again.

The rest of the movie is great and also completely strange and crazy wonderful. Once the story leaves the workshop it moves at a breakneck pace that moves a little bit too fast for my liking. But I get it, with the detail and animation that went into crafting this movie it would be extremely costly and time costuming to add more scenes.

Speaking of that. The animation is outstanding and even holds up to today’s standards. The imagination they used in making this movie is almost a character on its own. You can tell the amount of heart that the artists put into every meticulous detail. It’s a type of charming that we rarely see today, and will carry this movie into the generations to come.

All in all this is an amazing achievement of film. The animation blended with the score really sets this coming of age story apart. It makes me excited to have kids of my own one day, so I can show them this movie and they can have nightmares of their very own.

Prove yourself brave, truthful, and unselfish, and someday, you will be a real boy.

Joey Lubanski liked these reviews