Whiplash ★★★★★

When I watched this movie for the first time, I had to actually pause it because it stressed me out so much.

———

Sometimes when you watch a great movie you can point to one performance, or to the director’s vision, or even sometimes the score itself. This is one of those rare times where everything meshes together so incredibly well that you can’t point to one reason for the quality of the film

You could perchance argue that JK Simmons is the locomotive driving this anxiety ridden experience. But everything complements his performance so well that you can’t help but feel like you are the one that he is spit-screaming at.

Also his swearing dialogue is a complete art form.

All in all this is a brilliant movie experience that you feel more than you watch. Damien Chazelle takes us on an experience that only few select musicians ever go through, and forces us all to feel every beat of this story regardless of us ever having had played an instrument at all. It’s nothing short of a marvel.

Also Chazelle really knows how to end a movie with emotion. The end sequence of this movie is one of those most spellbinding experiencance in modern film. You can’t help but sit and take it all in, and possibly forget to breath.

Terence Fletcher: “There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job".

Joey Lubanski liked this review