An Actor's Revenge

An Actor's Revenge ★★★★½

Oh my, I was not expecting such a reaction to this one. A film that strokes the deepest, darkest parts of the mind to create a meaningful connection with these wonderfully crafted personas. Outstanding performances are set against a homely Japanese background packed full of beautiful costumes and elegant set design, with a wholly engaging score. Mmm, like a tight embrace from an old friend at a difficult time, An Actor’s Revenge lifts the mood and provides plenty of warmth to brighten the darkest of days.

"What wretched lies flow from my lips, but I must go on lying..."

Kazuo Hasegawa is absolutely delightful in the role of Yukinojo, a female impersonator and vengeful child of parents that were driven to suicide years earlier. When he spots those responsible in the audience at one of his performances, the planning for revenge commences.

An Actor’s Revenge is a well constructed, calmly paced and frankly bloody gorgeous piece of film that I'll almost certainly come back to, as there is so much to see it feels like I may have barely scratched its surface.

---