Mulholland Drive ★★★★½

"You want me to make this easy for you? No fucking way! It's not gonna be. It's not easy for me!"
- Diane Selwyn

Laura and Nomee sitting in a tree... k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Yep, it's still just a cray-cray as last time I watched this back in the early 2000's. It just never ages - the stylish delivery, the uber-interesting script, the creative camerawork, the absolutely bonkers twisty-turny plot.

There's some amazing character acting by Watts here especially. Perhaps it was all in Lynch's masterful direction, but I've been waiting patiently for her to get anywhere close to this performance in her career since... maybe it's just too much to ask after delivering on a script that was such a perfect fit for her. It would be like asking Brando to one-up his performance in Godfather.

The way that the story bends in the second act to take the audience in a different direction is so clever. From a cinematic perspective it's just spectacularly beautiful. Oh, and there were boobies. I do remember those from last time.

Anyhoo... overall this still sits up there on the first page of my all time favorites and I'm confident it always will.

Graham liked these reviews