The Thin Red Line

The Thin Red Line ★★★★½

This time of year is very special in the southern hemisphere. It's a time when we come together in remembrance of the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. Every year, I watch the dawn service and hear from our old soldiers, who recall moments from this horrendously turbulent time in the worlds history. Most of us will never understand what they went through, but the personal impact of 'Anzac Day' can be intense and often leads to moments of deep introspection and shedding of a few tears.

Watching this movie was like being transported into the lives of active servicemen: this time with Charlie Company who are being subjected to the tension, anxiety and pure terror of not knowing if their next breath will be their last. Why the hell am I here? I just want to see my loved ones again... Nothing could have prepared them for this.

Terrence Malick is genius here, and manages to set and retain a consistent tone and pace throughout the 3 hours of this journey from home to hell and back again for the lucky few. Some of the most intense moments happen on grassy hills leading up to fortified Japanese positions. Just imagine watching all your mates gets sliced to bits and then being told to move forward by a 'best in career' Nick Nolte, screaming in your face. Now this, is a horror movie!

I'll avoid the detail and spoilers here, but will say that this is the most affected I've been by a movie in a very long time. I enjoyed the Hollywood 'pazazz' of Saving Private Ryan and more recently 1917, but this one is different. It's cruel, beautiful, intense, and after 20 years is as fresh and relevant as ever.

Outstanding.

COVIDeodrome - Film #18 - A vision of Eden.

Graham liked these reviews