Parasite ★★★★★

When I saw this in June, the audience was largely Korean, but tonight the turnout was overwhelmingly white. I consider Parasite a massive massive win for foreign cinema, and am optimistic that it will inspire international creators and encourage higher attendance among western audiences.

I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say this is one of the greatest films to ever grace our planet’s inhabitants. The symmetry in the writing and direction is something I only dream of coming up with myself, which is harmonically executed in the editing.

Such high praise cannot be said, however, for the black & white grade. While many, if not most shots do look excellent, I found the brightest brights to be just a little too bright, loosing some detail, and dusk scenes appeared unusually fake, almost like a milky daytime. There are also a few key scenes which feel rather drained without their original colour.

Regardless, I am glad that this release will have gained the film new viewers and more revenue, as I think I may have said before, this film deserves every pair of eyes and ears it can get.

Ben liked these reviews