Doctor Sleep ★★

I have never understood the praise Mike Flanagan gets, going back to HushThe Haunting of Hill House pilot was one of the most boring things I’ve ever seen. And Doctor Sleep feels like a Netflix show from minute one.

I haven’t read the novel, but it feels like Stephen King had something new to say here about his own sobriety and struggles with the long term effects of alcohol and cocaine abuse. The villain is that lingering threat of relapse personified. But it all gets buried in the background because Mike Flanagan has nothing to say and Doctor Sleep is all leading to a truly embarrassing final act of empty nostalgia. Like my friend Marty said about Marvel movies, it’s a theme park ride. Except it’s even worse. The Shining maze at Halloween Horror Nights was a better artistic achievement. This is like the street performers in front of the Grauman’s Chinese Theater version of The Shining cosplay. Even Ready Player One did it better and at least Spielberg has earned the right to attempt what he did.

I felt bad for Ewan Mcgregor and Rebecca Ferguson who are giving this their all. Nostalgia fucking sucks. Like my other friend Adam Driver once said in a film, “Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.”

One star for the Jacob Tremblay scene which kind of rules and one star for my crush on Rebecca Ferguson and her little hat.

Shane liked these reviews