Catch Me If You Can

Catch Me If You Can ★★★★½

Before I start my review I would love to give a shout out to this YouTube channel that reviews random movies in a very philosophical way. Their YouTube channel is called “Storytellers”. I’m mentioning them not only because they’re some of the best film reviewers I know of but their review on this film gave me a much deeper view on what this film is truly about. This film isn’t just a story about a con man or “boy” in that matter but it’s more about confidence and how we are able to achieve anything with just enough confidence, let’s just hope we don’t use that confidence in a unlawfully manner unlike Frank (Leo).

Of course with this cast and director you will see some great performances and technical wonders but the story is what’s so moving and complex. Even though through out the whole film we see Frank con his way to be a Lawyer, Doctor, Pilot, etc. while playing the cat and mouse game with Carl (Hanks) there was a underlying statement through it all. Like I mentioned; Confidence. Frank was able to fool everyone and to achieve great success due to his confidence and to be quite honest it’s inspirational. Now I’m not saying we should all be con artists, I’m just implying if we really act like we can do something then maybe we can.

My pops used to tell me “the suite doesn’t make the man”, I’m sorry pops but in most cases it does. You can fool anyone if you look and act the part. The story about a charismatic kid who tricked the American system will forever be a fun story that catches my attention. I also loved the reason for Frank’s intentions. He didn’t get rich for his own greed. He wanted to help his dad get back with his mom by buying him things his dad couldn’t afford. The family melodrama really cut to my core because it’s very relatable to me in some ways. I know what it feels like to be alone and to run away from your problems instead of facing them. In some ways Carl (Hanks) was the missing piece to fill what Frank has been longing for. Splendid film and always one of my favorites.

Jacob liked these reviews