Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

This is slowly becoming one of my favorite comedies that has been made in the past decade. Not only does it succeed in giving me many laughs, smiles and good old fun but it allows me to ponder about my love for film and how important it is to me as it is to QT, or almost every character in the film that can be relatable to any movie lover out there… besides those got-darn hippies! But seriously, if we look beyond the carnage fun near the end, the foot fetish, the incredibly funny outbursts from Rick Dalton, and many other far out coolness this film pours out, there is a not so subtle sincerity about the love for movies here. For instance, there’s a scene where the two leading men share a moment where they just watch a movie on the television. There are many scenes that is similar to that particular scene where I just smile because it understands the true meaning of film. Sharing moments with a special person in your life under the same roof with a beer and an acid dipped cigarette, or getting joy out of hearing people laugh in the theater. Rick Dalton crying over a compliment isn’t meant to be funny, it’s meant to be heartwarming because you see the passion and hard work that he gives to his love for acting, his love for movies. Same can be said about QT and his love for filmmaking. I absolutely adore the message this film gives. Although I’m not in the movie business, my love for film will never fade no matter which decade.

I enjoyed how relaxed this film seems. Letting the film breathe until it’s time to turn up the tension and let loose for that final sequence that pleased all Tarantino fans out there. I enjoyed the late 60’s early 70’s aesthetics and that kicking soundtrack. The chemistry between Pitt & DiCaprio is unmatched. I enjoyed every aspect of the film mostly.

FAVORITE COMPONENT:
Rick freaking Dalton. Don’t you forget it.

LEAST FAVORITE COMPONENT:
Not enough Margot Robbie unfortunately.

FAVORITE SCENE:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!

Rick Dalton forgetting his lines. The over-the-top facial expressions he makes after screwing up makes me laugh just thinking about them. Which leads to to the funniest outburst I’ve ever seen.

Jacob liked these reviews