Nocturama ★★★★★

It's difficult to clearly recollect and describe the emotion running through me while viewing this film when I did, considering it put me into such a solid state of trance. Most everything about this French production was of near perfect hue. It's a cynical, dread-filled anti-consumerism allegory who's style and plot execution work off and raise each attribute's quality considerably as it progresses. The seven main protagonists/antagonists(however you see them I suppose)of this film see to a plan meant to detonate multiple synchronized bombs throughout a major city's heart, sending a message - creating a platform. It's such a nihilistic tale of terrorism that it comes off a lot more sadistic than your modern middle-eastern military biopic fare. This is homegrown, domestic terror carried out by that country's future. So bleak but so soulful all the same. A conflicting story and result all the same.

With an opening act that reminds us of the first 15 minutes of There Will Be Blood, Nocurama opens slow, silent and cold. Moving camera and spiffy placement of such are well used to carry us through the metro system of the French underground, still letting the plot take us places for those who forewent the full synopsis for a more blindly led experience. Once above ground and taking in the air once more, somewhat of a heist sequence begins as we follow this team, scattered throughout the political sector of town as they place their explosives throughout the perimeter of the district. Once the damage is dealt, the real plot begins. These youngsters take up refuge in the local shopping mall. With their strike being a smack in the face of over indulgence and excess, we are left with a rather bleak mockery of the very values they've strove to dismantle.

Now taking part in ritualistic fashion, culinary and pop media glut as a means of purposeful surfer value farce, the film becomes a darkly comedic critique at how our "heroes" have now become the thing they've hated all along. This goes to quite stylized lengths, nearly transforming the movie we'd see prior into something of a meta-commentary on capitalist desire and expenditure. This lasts up until its harrowing final moments that turn this into such a throwback to Terror at the Mall in, well, pretty literal means both stylistically and thematically. This is wonderfully made and executed. Something I can see myself watching many times over. The shallowness of the main characters only adds to fuel much more of the already trivial fire. My only request is that you stop instantly comparing this to Gus Van Sant's horrendously overrated school shooting film. There are other movies made since then that you can attribute something like this to. Dawn of the Dead on the other hand however? Guilty as charged on that regard.

- The Spork Guy