The French Dispatch

The French Dispatch ★★★★½

I can’t even imagine what a Wes Anderson film is going to look like if he continues down this path for another 10-20 years. It’ll just be an intricate, nesting doll diorama with a tiny squirrel (played by Tilda Swinton) telling a bedtime story through the smallest bullhorn you’ve ever seen, surrounded by another 5-6 layers of meta-narrative, every aspect ratio imaginable, and a scene where 150 tanks (Edward Norton is the tank commander) line up and all just fire at each other blindly, while a cast of 25 of the greatest actors ever assembled play featured extras with one line, it’ll also have an animated section that’s just a flip-book of a little guy poll-vaulting.

Anyway we’re not there yet, but needless to say meanwhile in this one Wes triples down on his whole thing and you’re either gonna love it or hate it and if you hate it you should probably get off the Wes Anderson train now because it doesn’t look like it’s slowing down.

Also this one, more than ever, finds Wes not just drawing attention to but luxuriating in the process of storytelling. It’s not about where you’re going, so much as it is this particular arrangement of words, sounds, and images- and for my money, it’s lovely.

Thomas liked this review