Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★

Performances: 8/10
Story: 8.6/10
Production: 8.8/10
Overall: 8.47/10

All hail Guardians of the Galaxy, easily the funniest Marvel film to date. Instantly quotable and undeniably fun, this one is sure to be a fan favorite. I didn't expect much from James Gunn after seeing the post-credits scene at the end of Thor 2. The clip just came off poorly done, with bad lighting and a weak overall design. In hindsight that was clearly unfinished work because Guardians is one of the more polished films of the MCU.

I think the biggest surprise though was the writing, in particular the characters themselves. Going into this as only a casual fan I didn't know much about these guys. I knew there was a tree and a raccoon, that's about all. Gunn and Nicole Perlman make it easy for anyone to meet these characters and fall in love. They're all very fleshed out and yet somehow the story is never bogged down by the exposition required to introduce them. More exciting is the fact that once we're on board for the ride the payoff is immediate. Chris Pratt is fantastic as Starlord. He's affable, hilarious, and completely relatable. He's a regular human in this giant setting and it's easy to mentally associate with him. Personally I liked Groot the most. I'm not a Vin Diesel fan so that's tough to say but honestly Diesel didn't really do anything spectacular, Groot could have been voiced by anyone to the same effect.

There's a million things to say about Guardians of the Galaxy. It's bound to be the biggest movie by years end so plenty will be written of it. It's the kind of film that deserves a rewatch or seven, so when I get around to that I'm sure I'll be writing more. Until then: I am Groot.

Thomas liked these reviews