2046

2046 ★★★★

Love is all a matter of timing. It's no good meeting the right person too soon or too late. If I'd lived in another time or place, my story might have had a very different ending.

An incredible finale to the trilogy with Days Of Being Wild and In The Mood For Love. Yesterday I was sure that the second film would be my favorite of the bunch, and while I feel more strongly about that one right now, it wouldn’t be surprising if 2046 winds up becoming my favorite on a future watch.

I loved the cuts to neon-colored fictional world of Chow’s novel and the brutally closed-off nature by which he is coping with losing Su Li-zhen. He’s so sociable, yet so distant from almost all the characters in this film. The musical nods to the previous films in the trilogy were a great touch as well.

With two films in my WKW watch remaining, it’s the most celebrated ones that I think I’ll be returning to — this trilogy and the Chungking Express / Fallen Angels pair. I love that the films work so well on their own and are made all the more impactful when you stack them together.

Wong Kar-wai | Directors