2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

Wow, what an experience. I will not pretend that I understood everything I saw but rarely had a movie such a huge impact on me. After the movie, I was just sitting in my chair for about 15 minutes, trying to process what I just experienced.

There are certainly not many films (if any) that are as aesthetically pleasing, intellectually stimulating, and just technically and artistically brilliant as “2001: A Space Odyssey”. The cinematography, the editing, the special effects, the visual storytelling, and the use of music. All of it is perfect and still impressive after 5 decades. How this movie could be made in 1968 is completely beyond me. The words “visionary” and “genius” were only invented to describe Stanley Kubrick. What he has to say in this movie about philosophical themes such as the human condition, human evolution, artificial intelligence and technology, time, space, and reality is thought provoking.

The only thing I knew about this film before watching it was HAL 9000 and I was actually surprised that he only appears in ¼ of the movie, but this was enough for him to become one of the most iconic movie characters ever. His simple but memorable design, his voice, and the whole concept of a sentient, out of control artificial intelligence make him a villain you will never forget. But the other chapters of the film are also brilliant, may it be the prehistoric first part, the mission on the moon, the psychedelic journey to Jupiter or the mindfuck ending.

“2001: A Space Odyssey” is a milestone of movie history and proof of the artistic value of the medium. I hope that I can see it in the cinema one day.

Thomas liked these reviews