The Turin Horse ★★★★★

Béla Tarr is a hit and miss with me. This is, IMO, his best film. Simplicity becomes him! We have everything from a Béla Tarr film here, the wind, things blowing all over the place, long takes, beautiful black and white cinematography, dirty people, even dirtier animals, repetition of things, filmed from a different view, hopelessness and a dystopian world. Here Tarr's style works perfectly for the story.

There are going to be SPOILERS from here on!!!

What we have here is an apocalyptic film, like Melancholia (2011) by Trier and The Road (2009). It is a film about the world unwinding. God created the world in 6 days according to the first chapter in Genesis (The Bible). What we witness here is a reverse creation. Well, Tarr mixes the first two creation stories in Genesis here so even though he refers to the 6 day creation the order of creation (or rather reversed order) is mixed from both the story of the creation in 6 days and the story of Adam and Eve. First the animals start to die, then later the water disappears, then the light goes out and after that life will no longer be.

And what does all of this have to do with Nietzsche and the horse he protected in Turin? Well the most obvious connection is the famous words of Nietzsche, God is dead. There are no more theories, no more absolutes. This is something Nietzsche also realised when he saw the farmer beat the horse and had a mental breakdown. Everything became meaningless.

I have always hated this fatalism in the films of Tarr but here he finally found the perfect setting for it. The last scene is as chilling as cinema can get. Scary but also beautiful at the same time. Haunting. So terribly haunting!