Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth ★★★★★

It's filmmakers like Guillermo del Toro that make me really appreciate alternative cultures. Living in the U.S. is a lot like eating the same homogeneous bran flakes day in and day out. Even though we are a melting pot of culture and ethnicity, it seems as though only the desired aspects are actively maintained. Almost everything presented in the media is in service of the status quo of American exceptionalism. There isn't much room for diverse perspectives. I realize not much of this has to do with the film itself, but watching Pan's Labyrinth just kind of brought these feelings to the surface. I guess I'm just really grateful for films like this that are made outside the realm of traditional Hollywood fare.

Del Toro is such an earnest auteur, it is easy to tell how much he puts into his work. I've always appreciated good storytelling, and del Toro puts his soul into this film for the sake of telling a good story. That's something I don't take lightly. The way he bridges the gap between fantasy and reality is so subtle, yet so effective. Told through the eyes of a child, the story never takes advantage of your suspension of disbelief. This is del Toro at his best.

Block or Report