The Favourite

The Favourite ★★★★½

Fastest duck in the city!

It's no coincidence that The Favourite is the first of Lanthimos' films I've seen theatrically and also thoroughly enjoyed. There's no better way to watch Robbie Ryan's cinematography. The shot compositions work wonderfully with Komeil S. Hosseini's score. There's ample time given to take in each scene, which is nice because so many of the scenes are so busy. The level of detail achieved through the production is impressive. Costume and makeup couldn't have been better. The film did an outstanding job of engaging me in its' setting.

I thought Lanthimos balanced the tone much better here than in his previous works. The dialogue is quirky at times, but it works. Several scenes had me laughing and having a good time. At other points though, I found myself really associating with the characters, something I've never done with his other films. Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, and Rachel Weisz all give top-shelf performances, Colman being the standout for me. They really are crucial in selling the story, and each have great depth of character.

There is a great deal of symbolism to unpack here, and I could do with another viewing. The ending left me with several threads to chew on for a while, which I always appreciate. I was expecting this to be much stranger, but it's pretty tame by Yorgos' standards.

Sean liked these reviews