Cannibal Holocaust

Cannibal Holocaust ★★

THX 04 | SvdW film reviews

Date Watched: Saturday, September. 12, 2020 | How I Watched: effedupmovies.com on laptop [connected to pc]

✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

I’ve heard of this one for years and its reputation but never saw it until recently because it just didn’t interested me, plus not to mention the real life animal killings a plenty on set didn’t appeal to me. A good friend and I were watching some controversial films and he wanted to watch it with me. In the back of my mind I was right, this film fucking blows.

Cannibal Holocaust is directed by Ruggero Deodato. His directing isn’t the problem as he brought a decent amount out of the locations. The film doesn’t look that bad either. The problems start with the screenplay. Speaking of the script, the work by Gianfranco Clerici isn’t the greatest. It’s a critique on who the real cannibals are, the humans or the cannibals. The leads aren’t that likeable and were plain annoying at points. The before mentioned animal cruelty scenes aren’t fun to watch either, and the fact real animals got killed for the sake of authenticity is this film’s biggest issue. It is hilarious to see the businessmen reacting the uncut footage in the most dry way though.

And the cast isn’t that great. Robert Kerman plays the lead and he’s just above average. Other actors include the likes of Francesca Ciardi, Perry Pirkanen, Luca Barbareschi, Salvatore Basile, Ricardo Fuentes, Carl Gabriel Yorke, Paolo Paoloni, Lionello Pio Di Savoia and Luigina Rocchi in supporting or bit roles.

Riz Ortolani ‘s musical score is one of the great things added into the mix, but I don’t buy the music. What I mean with that is that the music is placed over the found footage, but this wasn’t added by anyone. Where did the music come from? I don’t know and I don’t care.

I can recommend this one if you are a fan of shocking films. Otherwise I suggest skipping it altogether.

This is why I am going to give Cannibal Holocaust 2 out of 5 stars.

Note: