Knives Out ★★★★½

Knives Out is undoubtedly the most fun I've had in 2019. 2019 has some terrific movies but when comes down to entertainment, it has it down the pack. I was on my toes from the moment the movie started to the moment the movie ended. I wanted everyone to win because the acting is so great. It is difficult to point out who's bad because the cast is really crammed. From Chris Evans to Daniel Craig, everyone shines through until the last frame. However, Ana de Armas ends up thieving this movie. The scenes with her are the highpoints. When it comes down to her dialogue, she brings out the big guns. Yes, the mystery is enjoyable enough but it is the comedy that pushes it into the edges. It is hysterical. The back and forth with the family is one thing but the altercations between Benoit Blanc and the family truly the stole the show for me. Those moments will stick with me for a very long time. Every slick line of dialogue is funded by the superb script. To be fair, the script itself is wildly humorous. It is idiosyncratic when it needs to be and it never does too much. The fact the film ended up being as comical as it was is the icing on the cake. Even without the hilarity, it is still a clever film with a magnificent direction. The score is so muted and yet so cogent. For the genre that this is, the cinematography is brilliant. The direction is stellar. I know Rian Johnson doesn't have the best reputation with the Star Wars fanbase right now but his approach of innovative content should be treasured by everyone. Y'all can't tell me that this man is a bad director. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't the biggest fan of The Last Jedi but it wasn't a bad movie. Anyways, the only issue with the film is certain plot threads are predictable. Most twists came out of nowhere; a few of them I saw coming. Also, it has one or two stories that just didn't keep up with the rest. Apart from those issues, Knives Out is one of 2019's best films. It is definitely a fun time.

tiaskye ✊🏽 liked these reviews