Mulholland Drive ★★★★

"No hay banda. There is no band!"

I feel like this movie needs some kind of supercomputer to decipher all of the nuances of the story, the symbolism and the references. This is, by a pretty wide margin, the most complicated, mind-bending and puzzling film I have ever seen. There are entire sites devoted to decoding this movie, and when I read them it makes my head spin.

But that's David Lynch for you.

If you go into this movie aiming to crack the code, you're not going to like this movie. It's best just to try and follow the story the best you can and just take it as an overall experience. Lynch combines some pretty cooky images with a haunting score that gives this movie a very morose, spellbinding tone. Almost hypnotic in a way. You feel like you're going down this rabbit hole of surrealism where you can't tell what is real and what isn't, where time is also completely out of whack.

This movie is very interesting for about 2/3 of it, as the mystery unravels itself and it seems like a pretty straightforward story of an amnesiac trying to remember who she really is, given with a few weird characters and scenes that have you questioning what kind of world you are in. Then, in the last half hour, this movie COMPLETELY goes off the rails. It goes full weird, throwing insane images at the viewer in basically a mishmash of the strangest, most confusing scenes in movie history.

Lynch's work is not easily digestible but "Mulholland Drive" has to be one of the most inaccessible of his entire catalogue. In many of his other films that I've seen, you can decipher concrete themes and the story is more-or-less conventional. I've never seen a movie so chock full of symbolism and simply unexplainable (at least for me, anyway) scenes as this one, as it seems like he just throws things in there for the hell of it but that's, of course, not the case.

Either way, when you sit down to watch a David Lynch film, you're in for an experience and that makes him one of the most interesting directors of all time.

Big Tim liked these reviews