Ad Astra

My main criteria for any movie: is it entertaining? I'll overlook shortcomings if the movie keeps me engaged. This one is 0 out of 10 on the fun scale. The premise is intriguing: an astronaut who goes on a mission to learn his father's whereabouts, who was investigating E.T life, but the execution was very b-o-r-i-n-g. Was this designed to drag this badly?

I don't mean just a little boring, but can Brad Pitt show any emotion here at all? He looks and acts like he just overate at the buffet. I enjoy the science fiction genre, but this movie was heavier on the fiction (particularly the ending scenes). My wife and I both were yawning throughout this flick, fighting more to stay awake than getting engaged by what was on the screen.

Where is the sound in this film? There might be more sound in space (not! -- I'm joking) than in this movie. Unusually long passages of just background silence all over the place. Gravity blows this turkey out of space. It's so bad that I went ahead and gave Hustlers (previously the worst movie I saw this month in the theater) another 1/2 star. Ad Astra is definitely not recommended.

Todd Russell liked these reviews