Dangerous Lies

Dangerous Lies ★★

Katie (Camila Mendes) and her husband are having financial problems. She works for an elderly man as a caretaker and mentions to the man (Elliot Gould). He hires her husband as a gardner and then way overpays Katie on her next check. At the same time he just dies. He leaves a key behind that goes to a chest with $92,000 in it. From there, nothing is quite what it seems.

This is one of those layers of onion stories. It's a drama with mystery and thriller components that the more we watch, the less we are sure the story is what we think it is. At some point all the things that just seem to happen become a bit ridiculous and hard to believe. Like how are the police so dense? Why don't the couple go to the police and open up about what's happening? Why do both Katie and her husband act so suspiciously?

The wrap-up does sort of answer all the questions, but it doesn't feel as satisfying as it should. This is #1 in the Netflix top 10 right now. It kept my attention, interest and entertained me for he most part, but the story doesn't quite work. It's too bad because there were aspects of this I liked. If the story has an overall phoniness to it, even if it is entertaining, I don't feel right recommending it.