Glengarry Glen Ross

Glengarry Glen Ross ★★★★½

Likely the greatest sales-related script ever written. Works better as a play than a movie, but as a dramatic film, given the right casting as is the case here, it's brilliant. This isn't a movie with a bunch of action or story, it's pure dialogue and character conflict-driven drama. A group of down on their sales numbers real estate agents get browbeat by a star performer. They either have to sell or be fired.

Al Pacino plays Ricky Romo, the star salesmen working a deal at the bar with a client who can't afford to pay. Ed Harris takes Alan Arkin out on a sit. Meanwhile, somebody breaks into the office and steals the coveted Glengarry leads.

If you are in the sales business, this is a must-see movie. I was shown this early in my sales career (I was in sales for 20 years, but not any longer) Even if you're not, you can't help but appreciate the rapid-fire perfectly timed dialogue. About the only knock I can give this film is that the pacing is uneven. It starts out so strong, then it drops off to a very slow middle and then finishes too quickly. This is a masterclass in dialogue, though, just wow. Recommended.